How to get there
The Kingdom of Tonga consists of an archipelago of 176 islands, scattered across an area of the central Pacific Ocean to the east of Fiji. The present territorial boundary covers some 360,700 sq km of ocean so getting around can be difficult. Of the 176 islands only 36 islands are inhabited and the greatest number of people living on the main island groups of Tongatapu and 'Eua in the south, Ha'apai in the middle, Vava'u in the north and much further north again to Niuatoputapu and Niuafo'ou.
Air New Zealand, Air Pacific, and Virgin Australia all provide international air services into Tonga.
Real Tonga a Tongan-owned domestic airline provides scheduled air services to Tonga's outer islands.
The flight schedule is published on the Real Tonga website and bookings can be made online or by contacting their office in Nuku'alofa. They fly between the major islands of Vava'u, Ha'apai and Tongatapu within the Kingdom of Tonga. The flight time from Tongatapu to Vava'u is approximately one hour with up to four flights a day, except Sundays.
To enquire about or make a booking for domestic flights in Tonga or for domestic flights to meet international connections you can email Real Tonga Airlines firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com , Alternatively visit the Real Tonga website to view their flight schedules and for on-line booking. www.realtonga.to
There are weekly ferries to Vava'u from Tongatapu. These ferries , The MV 'Otuanga'ofa and The MV Niuvakai, also stop at the Ha'apai group on the way north to Vava'u.
The Friendly Islands Shipping Agency (FISA) is Tonga's inter-island ferry agent serving Tonga with the MV 'Otu'anga'ofa and the MV Niuvakai +676 22-582 or +6786 23-853 firstname.lastname@example.org
Air New Zealand
- From New Zealand to Tonga: Five flights per week to Tonga.
- From Australia to Tonga: Daily flights to and from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne to Tonga.
- From UK/Europ: Daily flights from London to Auckland via Los Angeles, alternatively connecting flights via Hong Kong to Auckland conntecting to Tonga five times per week.
- From USA to Tonga: Daily flights from Los Angeles to Auckland connecting to Tonga five times a week.
Code Share flights also available with Virgin Australia via Auckland and Sydney.
Enquiries & Bookings - Air New Zealand offices
Tonga: +676 23192 or email email@example.com
Auckland: +64 9 357 3000
Sydney: +61 13 2476
Frankfurt: +49 69 130 81 7778
London: +44 20 860 07 600
Los Angeles: +1 310 615 1111
Tokyo: +81 3 552 127 27
- From Australia to Tonga: Two flights per week from Sydney to Tonga (Tuesday & Thursday).
- From New Zealand to Tonga: Two flights per week from Auckland to Tonga (Tuesday & Thursday).
Code Share flights also available with Air New Zealand via Auckland and Sydney.
Enquiries & Bookings - Virgin Australia offices
Tonga: +676 24 566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Australia: +61 13 1645
New Zealand: 0800 67 0000 (toll free NZ only)
Other international locations: +61 7 3295 2284
Air Pacific is the international airline connecting Tonga with Fiji and offers the following services;
- From Australia to Tonga: Two flights per week from both Brisbane and Sydney to Nadi with connecting flights to Tonga (Tuesday & Thursday).
- From USA to Fiji: Three flights a week from LA and Honolulu to Fiji.
- From Fiji to Tonga: Four flights per week to Tonga.
Enquiries & Bookings - Air Pacific Offices
Tonga: + 676 24021 or email email@example.com
Fiji: + 679 6720 888
Australia: 1800 230 150 (toll free Australia only)
New Zealand: + 64 9 379 8476 or 0800 800 178 (toll free NZ only)